- We saw a movie where a Kim Jong-il joke was made and everyone in the theater laughed.
- A young woman asked us to write a message for her parents' 20th anniversary on a wipe board and then took a picture of us with it.
- A young man asked us to vote (with a sticker) on which color we thought of when we thought of the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone - border with North Korea).
- An older gentleman on the subway struck up a conversation with John and told him his fortune based on his answer to this question: If you were walking home, which would you hope to find, a flower, snow or water.
- The tour driver who took us to the DMZ was also a fashion designer.
- We went to a live jazz club (incidentally, it was called Live Jazz Club) and heard a jazz quintet with an amazing female vocalist. We could understand the song lyrics but not her banter while the opposite might have been true for everyone else there.
- At a restaurant they gave us a free soda because there was meat in our food - we picked a lot of ham out of things in Korea.
- Our hostel messed up our room (2 single beds put together instead of a double bed) and bought us a nice bottle of soju to make up for it. Also, the hostel guy always said "okey dokey", which cracked us up.
- We saw a "same same couple" - 20 something couple wearing head to toe matching outfits (it's the Korean equivalent of a GothLoli sighting).
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Fun things that happened in Seoul
We had so much fun just being out and about in the city and interacting with Korean people. Here are just a few examples.