Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mt. Chogatake

Josie climbed Mt. Chogatake yesterday with a friend.
Here's a view from the top:



I had to wake up at 4:30am, it was 4 hours up and 3.5 hours down. Almost the whole way it was snowy/icy and we were the only ones without cramp-ons. I'm super sore today.
But here's the thing: It was totally worth it. The Japanese Alps are beautiful!
The icing on the cake? We saw so many snow monkeys on the way down. I couldn't get a good picture of them but we even saw a baby on a mama monkey's back.
If you're not familiar with Japanese snow monkeys, this should give you an idea of their cuteness:

Pictures from Kyoto and Nara coming soon!!

2 comments:

  1. HI Jo-z,
    My husband and I are planning to hike to Mt. Chogatake this Summer. We are beginning hikers, what is the difficulty level of this mountain?
    Thanks,
    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm basically a beginner mountain hiker too. Especially if it's the summer, you should be fine. It's challenging but there's a path the whole way and everything. Enjoy!

      Delete