- John has accepted a new position teaching at elementary schools in the town adjacent to us, starting in April.
- So, we'll be in Japan through March 2012. There is still time for you to visit us!! We'll be home for a visit in August and hopefully somewhere warm over Christmas (Phillipines? Malaysia?). Otherwise, we're happy to host folks!
- We're going to South Korea for 10 days at the end of March over our Spring break. We'll be in Seoul and Busan - looking forward to some big city time with cheaper prices than Japan.
- We've been making and eating tempeh croquettes, Persian borani dip, homemade pita bread, truffles, Swedish pancakes and more!
- Our last couchsurfers told us about bookdepository.com which has free shipping worldwide. As a test, we ordered a book of Yayoi Kusama's work and Remainder by Tom McCarthy.
- This week we are missing 1) listening to music while driving, 2) the library, 3) rice other than sushi rice, 4) our friends from home.
- We are loving the song "Marathon" by a band called Tennis. Do yourself a solid and give it a listen.
- We'll leave you with a few pictures of tanuki, which are Japanese raccoon dogs. They're common in Shinto mythology and known to be "mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absent-minded." Also, they are usually depicted with huge testicles.
If they sound familiar, you may recall them from Super Mario Brothers 3.
Here are some real tanuki(s?):