Monday, July 12, 2010

Sunday Food Day

On Sunday we were up early (despite staying out late Sat. at a party in Matsumoto) to skype in for my nephew's 1st birthday party. It was fun to talk with our family and friends and, of course, to watch the little guy open his presents (or, play with the wrapping paper, as it were). We were too awake after that to go back to sleep so I made us breakfast--blueberry walnut wheat pancakes. We like to put yogurt on top so we don't have to use as much expensive maple syrup.


It was a rainy Sunday so it only seemed right to indulge...

We watched an episode of Mad Men, did our budget, talked about our upcoming trip to Bali and then John made sweet and sour tofu with this recipe. Our version wasn't vegan because we used real egg instead of egg replacer. OISHI! (Delicious in Japanese) It was restaurant quality, people. We had a craving for take out from Evergreen Chinese Restaurant and this definitely satisfied it.


Can you tell John's taking the food photos now?
That night we had our Spanish friend over to show us how to make tortilla espanola. I've been making it since I lived in Spain 10 years ago, but it never turned out like I had it there. I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn't using enough oil. Boy was I right. The only plates we had were the exact size of the pan so it was quite a feat for him to flip it. He struck this triumphant pose after he did.


We didn't just have him over for a free cooking lesson though. We made a big salad and green goddess dressing plus these black bottom coconut bars I had made the day before. My friend brought me a kilo of coconut from the Brazilian store so I've been trying to use it--ironic since it's hard to find in any real quantity here and now I've got tons of it.

Of course, we didn't know it at the time but this was a preemptive victory dinner for him because Spain won the world cup a few hours later!

No comments:

Post a Comment